Student Matters Update: December 14th, 2022
Student Nurses, Officer Board and Branch Reps
As per yesterday’s announcement by Health Minister, Stephen Donnelly, the following additional supports for student nurses have been outlined:
- An enhanced Travel and Subsistence Scheme for student nurses in years 1 to 3 of their studies will see each receive €500 per year as a targeted measure to contribute towards meeting the extra costs of meals associated with practice placements outside the student’s core placement site.
- A new rate of €80 for overnight accommodation is being introduced, along with an increased weekly cap of €300, for those students who require accommodation away from their normal place of residence while attending practice placements. This weekly cap is three times the cap introduced on 1st January 2022, and almost six times the previous cap.
- Student nurses and midwives can also avail of, on a vouched basis, the reasonable cost of uniform laundry services during periods of overnight accommodation.
- Pay will be re-instated at 80% of first year staff nurse/midwife pay scale, for internship students.
- Two additional uniforms for student nurses and midwives at the start of their internship.
For student nurses and midwives on their final year internship as per the McHugh report their salary will be reinstated to 80% of the first point of the staff nurse scale.
The PNA are also seeking an early engagement with the DOH to clarify the details and implementation processes surrounding the detail of this announcement.
Research & Development Advisor