NEWSFLASH NO. 20
14 January 2015
CAMPAIGN OF OPPOSITION TO NMBI FEE INCREASE
We refer again to the ongoing campaign and wish to begin this update by thanking all members for their tremendous solidarity towards the campaign to date.
In particular we wish to advise you of the following:
1. The badges, indicating payment of €100 and that you remain on the register, are now being distributed to all work places. Please contact your unions key representative and wear the badge demonstrating your participation in the campaign. Also encourage your fellow members to do likewise.
2. The Board of the NMBI is holding a special meeting, on this Thursday, 15 th January 2015, to further review this issue. This is as a direct result of the massive support, for the campaign, and the fact that thousands of nurses are paying €100 only.
3. We would remind all members that when making their €100 payment they should always attach their NMBI PIN numbers to ensure proper record of payment.
4. In view of recent issues, which have been the subject of sustained media attention regretfully we again have to point out:
• the total silence of NMBI with regard to ensuring patient safety, through best practice, in the context of grossly overcrowded accident and emergency departments; and
• the failure of NMBI to make any public statement in support of registered professionals endeavouring to maintain safe practice despite deplorable overcrowding and staff shortages.
5. We also note the recent refusal, by NMBI, to provide details with regard to their expenditure, on public relations and legal fees, to a national weekly newspaper. This is another example of the Board declining to explain how it is spending nurses/midwives monies while, at the same time, seeking to increase its fees by 50%. This is a further example of why nurses and midwives are so angry at the proposed fee increase.